Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
- Client: Callaghan Innovation
- Size: 1 Storey, 20 m2
- Opened: May 2017
- Architect: CMA+U, Makers of Architecture
- Engineer: PTL Structural Consultants
- Timber supplier and fabricators: Makers Fabrication
- Construction: Makers Fabrication
Described as ‘space inside a space’ the office pod provides Callaghan Innovation with additional work area without compromising access or use of the zone below. A highly collaborative project between Chris Moller of CMA + U, Makers of Architecture and PTL the goal of creating a light structure, both in terms of the space and its structural footprint, was achieved by perching the pod on a lightweight steel frame.
The pod itself is composed of CMA+U’s Click-Raft system, a series of sinusoidal leaves and beams providing strength as well as interest to the internal spaces. Additional structure was provided by LVL beams and columns allowing an open front to the structure for observation of the laboratory below.
Extensive use of CNC cutting and prefabrication design by Makers Fabrication and PTL allowed the pod to be delivered and erected with minimal interruption to laboratory use.
- NZ Wood Resene Timber Design Awards 2018 – Highly Commended